Jul 19, 2018
NY State Program Code: 24571
HEGIS Code: 0837.00
CIP Code: 13.1307
The Master of Arts in Health Education program prepares students to teach Pre-K to 12 health education in schools. Students are prepared to promote and maintain healthy lifestyles through skills based learning strategies, relevant and developmentally appropriate assessment design and understanding individual learning styles.
The Master of Arts in Health Education Graduate Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) Program is offered for:
- students without New York State teacher certification
- students with a valid initial New York State teacher certification in other content areas (Physical Education, English, Math, Special Education, etc.).
Previous course work and experiences are evaluated with respect to its comparability with required coursework. Additional coursework may be necessary where a student’s background in identified content areas is found to be lacking or weak.
Health Education Core
Electives or Corequisites
(Minimum of 9 credits)
Additional Requirements for Program Completion/State Certification
- Satisfactory completion of Content Core Requirements and General Education courses, including a foreign language
- All teacher certification candidates must take and pass the New York State Teacher’s Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) required for their particular area of certification which includes the Content Specialty Test in Health
Additional Graduation Requirements - D A S A Training
- Evaluation of and credit for comparable course work may reduce certification credits needed; however, the M.A. degree requires a minimum of 37 credits in 500 level courses and above.
- Student Teaching is required for students who do not have prior student teaching experience. Fieldwork is required for those who already hold a valid New York State teaching certificate in another area. These experiences will be selected and scheduled with the students’ adviser and the Coordinator of Health Studies Fieldwork and Student Teaching.
- Before starting the program, students may be able to transfer up to 6 credits of non-Adelphi graduate level courses and/or up to 9 credits of graduate level Adelphi courses to the program upon adviser’s approval, not to exceed 9 total transfer credits.
- Some courses in the program may be taken for noncredit with permission.
- The following New York State certification requirement workshops can be met by health education courses as indicated: