Jul 16, 2018
NY State Program Code: 24573
HEGIS Code: 0835.00
CIP Code: 13.1314
The Physical Education program prepares students to teach physical education in schools. The Master of Arts in Physical Education Graduate Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) Program is a pre-service or in-service program that provides an alternative track for both initial and professional certification. It is offered for:
- students without New York State teacher certification (pre-service)
- students with initial New York State teacher certification in other content ares (English, math, special education, etc.)
Previous course work and experiences are evaluated with respect to their comparability with required coursework. Additional coursework may be necessary where a student’s background in identified content areas is found to be lacking or weak.
Specialization Core: Physical Education Content
(48 credits PED (0852) Specialized; 3 credits for PED 656 counted as EDU (0801)
(18–24 credits including PED 656 , add literacy and language course)
Aditional Requirements for Program/Completion State Certification
- Satisfactory completion of Content Core Requirements and General Education courses, including a foreign language
- All teacher certification candidates must take and pass New York State Teacher;s Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) required for their particular area of certification which includes the Content Specialty Test in Physical Eductaion
- For thise seeking NYS teacher certification,NYS mandates one course that develops the skills necessary to provide instruction and progress of students with disabilities
Additional Graduation Requirements - D A S A Training
- First Aid and CPR certification or PED 167 is required prior to PED 525 , PED 792 and/or PED 536 .
- Evaluation of, and credit for, comparable course work may reduce certification credits needed; however, the M.A. degree requires a minimum of 33 credits in 500-level courses and above.
- Fees are required for noncredit workshop/ seminars which may include: Project Adventure (ropes course); Child Abuse; Violence Prevention; and Anatomy/Physiology.
- Student Teaching is required for students who do not have prior student teaching experience. Fieldwork is required for those who already hold a valid New York State teaching certificate in another area. These experiences will be selected and scheduled with the students’ adviser and the coordinator of the physical education program.
- Field Experience Requirement: Students who do not have appropriate prior experience working with children in physical activity-based contexts will be required to do so. These experiences will be selected and scheduled through close advisement with the student’s adviser and the coordinator of the teacher preparation program.
- Some courses in the program may be taken for noncredit with permission.
- Before starting the program, students may be able to transfer up to 6 credits of non-Adelphi graduate level courses and/or up to 9 credits of graduate level Adelphi courses to the program upon adviser’s approval not to exceed 9 total transfer credits.
- The following New York State certification requirement workshops can be met by health education courses as indicated