4+3 Adelphi University/ New York Institute of Technology Bachelor of Science/ Doctor of Physical Therapy Early Decision Program
The Early Decision Program between Adelphi University and the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program at New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) allows up to four (4) exceptional exercise science majors at Adelphi to gain early admission into NYIT’s highly regarded physical therapy program. After completing their Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Science in four years at Adelphi, they will continue on into NYIT’s three-year DPT program.
Applicants must be an Adelphi University* full time student pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Science. In order to apply the applicant must have completed the first two years of the exercise science curriculum and meet the following eligibility criteria:
• Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.2 at AU.
• No science or math grades below a grade of B.
• No grade of D or F in any course.
• Completion of a minimum of 200 hours of volunteer/paid experience with PT supervision
• A favorable recommendation from the Exercise Science program director at AU.
• Recommendation by NYIT DPT faculty based on a personal interview.
How to Apply
Bring or send a completed application packet to NYIT by May 30th after your sophomore year, following these steps:
- Complete a paper-based copy of the NYIT Graduate Application
- Submit a sealed and confidential written recommendation from the Department of Exercise Science at Adelphi
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a physical therapist which will also serve as documentation of at least 200 hours under the direct supervision of a licensed PT.
- Include a copy of your unofficial transcript of all college coursework
- Submit an essay addressing the topic, “Why are you pursuing the field of physical therapy and why are you selecting NYIT’s program?”
To maintain the Early Decision status in the NYIT DPT program AU students must maintain the following criteria:
• Minimum GPA of 3.2 in sciences.
• Minimum grade of B in mathematics and sciences.
• Completion of an additional minimum of 200 hours of volunteer/paid experience with PT supervision, totaling a minimum of 400 hours during completion of the AU Exercise Science major.
• Complete all degree requirements of AU Exercise Science major
• Completion of a the following specific courses at AU:
- BIO 111 and BIO 112 Biological Concepts & Methods I and II
- BIO 203 and BIO 204 Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II
- CHEM 111 and CHE 112 General Chemistry I and II
- PHY 111 and PHY 112 College Physics I and II
- MTH 113 Survey of Statistics
- 6 credits English
- 6 credits Psychology
• Complete an application to the program through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS).
• Completion of a criminal background check
• Early Decision Program Deadlines
- Application deadline by May 30 following the student’s sophomore year (60 credits)
- Admissions Decision by August 30 following the sophomore year.
* Students with some educational experiences at institutions other Adelphi University will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Students enrolled in this program who do not meet the criteria have the option of applying for admission to NYIT’s DPT program through the standard application process.