NY State Program Code: 31671
HEGIS Code: 4902.00
CIP Code: 30.0101
Estimated time of completion: 40 weeks
University College’s Certificate in Basic Sciences for Health Professions is specifically designed for students who want to pursue a career in medicine but did not complete the required science courses in their undergraduate degree program. The goal of the program is to help this special group of students get accepted into the school of their choice in order to pursue a career in medicine. Throughout the program, students receive personalized academic and application advisement through the Office of Pre-Professional Advisement and Fellowships. Prior to being enrolled students may transfer in a maximum of 12 credits in to the certificate program. Candidates for this program must have completed at least 34 credits. Prior Learning credits cannot be applied to undergraduate certificates. Students currently enrolled in undergraduate certificates as of October 1, 2015 may continue to pursue their certificate under the previous guidelines until they graduate.
Federally Mandated Gainful Employment Disclosure
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at adelphi.edu/ge.
Applications are reviewed by the by Adelphi Office of Admissions and the Executive Director of University College. The following are required for application to the program:
- Completed University College application and fee
- Three letters of recommendation
- One from undergraduate faculty highlighting academic abilities
- One from work or volunteer organization highlighting leadership skills
- One personal reference highlighting interest in medicine
- Transcripts from all previously attended colleges (unofficial transcripts are acceptable upon application, but official transcripts required before program completion)
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.25 or higher ACT or SAT scores (unofficial upon application; official before program completion)
- Essay detailing why you want to pursue a career in the health professions