Sep 25, 2022
2015-16 University Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Medicine, B.A./B.S./D.O. (Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - PCOM )
4+4 Preferred Admissions Program with the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Bachelor of Arts or Science degree from Adelphi University/ Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
The Preferred Admissions Program with the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM), the third oldest Osteopathic College of Medicine in the country, founded in 1899, will provide the opportunity for Adelphi students to transition from undergraduate studies to medical school. PCOM has trained highly competent, caring physicians, health practitioners and behavioral scientists who practice a comprehensive approach to health care. The essence of Osteopathic Medicine lies in examining and treating the whole person, not just the symptoms.
Requirements for Acceptance
Applicants for the program must apply to Adelphi and indicate their interest in the “Preferred Admissions Program” with PCOM.
- Minimum SAT scores of 650 on the verbal and 650 on the math sections are required.
- High School grade point average of at least 3.5
- Demonstrate definite interest in the medical profession and awareness of Osteopathic Medicine
- Must show evidence of community involvement.
- Have reasonable communication and interpersonal skills.
- Submit to Pre-Medical Council interview at Adelphi no later than March of the senior year of high school.
Note: The program is limited to five students plus alternates. Transfer students are not eligible
Current Adelphi Students:
- Open to current students on a case by case basis when openings are available.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 and Science GPA of at least 3.5 with no grades below C
- Show a definite interest in the profession of Osteopathic Medicine
- Show evidence of community involvement
- Have reasonable communication and interpersonal skills
- Submit an application available in OPPAF by the end of the sophomore year.
- Submit to Pre-Medical Council interview and review
PCOM Admission Requirements
Candidate must complete course requirements as listed in PCOM’s catalog.
Eight Semester hours each of:
- General Biology with Labs
- General Chemistry with Labs
- Organic Chemistry Labs
- General Physics with Labs
- Six semester hours of English Composition and Literature
Additionally students must take
- Introductory Psychology or equivalent
- Introductory Sociology or equivalent
- Statistics (one semester)
All candidates must earn a grade point average of at least 3.5 (Cumulative and Science GPA). Students earning less than a C in any required course or obtaining less than a 3.2 index in any semester will not be eligible.
The candidate must take the Medical College Admissions Test as early as possible but no later than the fall of the senior year. The candidate must earn a minimum score of the fiftieth percentile (50%) in each section of the MCAT.
A personal interview by PCOM is required during the Fall or Winter sessions of the students senior year at Adelphi after making a formal application through AACOMAS.
Students must demonstrate a commitment to study osteopathic medicine. This commitment could be demonstrated by volunteering in a medical setting, shadowing an osteopathic physician, or becoming knowledgeable about osteopathic medicine.