New York University College of Dentistry (NYUCD)
3/4 B.A. or B.S./D.D.S. Early Assurance Program
Bachelor of Arts or Science degree from Adelphi University/Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from New York University College of Dentistry
Adelphi University participates in an Early Assurance program with NYUCD in which students study for three years at Adelphi. After completing 90 credits at Adelphi, students begin their first year of dental school which counts as the final 30 credits needed to be eligible for the bachelor’s degree at Adelphi. After successful completion of the fourth year at NYUCD students are eligible for the D.D.S. degree. To be considered for admission to the Early Assurance Programs with NYUCD, applicants must have a minimum combined SAT critical reading and writing and math Sat score of 1360 (or the equivalent ACT score of 29), a minimum high school GPA of 3.5, and a strong letter of recommendation from their high school counselor. Students who meet the minimum qualifications for admission will be sent a special program application in January of the year they plan to attend Adelphi. All applications will be screened and qualified students will be invited to an on campus or Skype interview. Eligibility to this program is limited to 10 first year freshman. Students may apply to the program once they have begun their studies at Adelphi if openings become available and the alternate and waiting lists have been exhausted.
A student’s eligibility to remain in the program is conditional upon his/her maintaining a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 and science GPA of 3.2 for each semester at Adelphi.
Each student will be required to take the Dental Aptitude Test (DAT) and any other entrance examinations then required by NYUCD by the end of the fall semester of the student’s third year at Adelphi. Performance on the DAT must be satisfactory to NYUCD
At the start of each student’s third year of study at Adelphi, Adelphi shall provide NYUCD’s Admissions Committee with a copy of the program student’s official transcript, a separate calculation of the student’s grade-point average for science and non-science courses, and a recommendation on behalf of the student.
To be eligible for admission to NYUCD’s D.D.S. program, a program student must meet at least the following criteria:
- Completion of at least (90) credits of course work at Adelphi, including completion of all General Education requirements, all major course work, and in addition the following prerequisites: CHE 111 and CHE 112 with lab, PHY 111 and PHY 112 or PHY 113 and PHY 114 with lab, Organic CHE 251 , CHE 252 , CHE 253 , CHE 254 , BIO 111 and BIO 112 with lab, and 6 credits of English and such other minimum core course requirements for admission as may be in effect from time to time.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 and 3.2 science average each semester at Adelphi.
- No final grade below a C in any course.
- Performance that is satisfactory to NYUCD on any examination required for admission to NYUCD; currently a 20 on the Academic Average score on the DAT for example.
- A recommendation for admission from the Pre-Professional Advisory Committee at Adelphi.
- Participation in at least two orientation programs at NYUCD during the student’s first three academic years in the Program.
- Ten students plus alternates will initially be selected to participate in the program.
In addition to meeting the admission requirements and criteria established by NYUCD for admission into its D.D.S. Program, a student will be admitted into NYUCD after completion of a formal application through AADSAS and after completion of a satisfactory interview with NYUCD’s Admissions Committee and certification by the Pre-Professional Advisory Committee at Adelphi that the student has completed all criteria.
(Please note that program students who may be able to complete all Adelphi degree requirements within three years and plan to apply to other dental schools will lose their priority consideration by NYU CD.)
Students who have satisfactorily completed the first year of NYUCD’s D.D.S. Program and have fulfilled all other requirements for the bachelor’s degree from Adelphi shall be awarded a bachelor’s degree by Adelphi at the end of their first year at NYUCD. The granting of the bachelor’s degree from Adelphi University after successful completion of the first year of dental school at NYUCD requires a request from the student.
For additional information, please contact Office of Pre-Professional Advising and Fellowships at (516) 877-3140 or the Department of Biology at (516) 877-4200.