HED (0834) 608 - Introduction to Comprehensive Health Education
This course allows students to examine the foundations of health education, national and state health education standards and effective teaching strategies to address all level learners. Health literacy is explored and a skills-based approach to teaching health is practiced and evaluated.
Course Learning Goals: 1. Explain comprehensive school health education.
2. Identify critical functional knowledge in health education that ensures a quality program.
3. Develop a skill based lesson plan for health education instruction*.
4. Present a skill based lesson plan for health education instruction
5. Explain factors that help develop attitudes and norms to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle.*
6. Explain the importance of the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC), Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS), and Healthy People Initiative to school health education.
*Students will develop a lesson plan that includes functional knowledge, affective and cognitive objectives with authentic assessments to measure objectives that contribute to development of beliefs and norms that contribute to a healthy lifestyle.